A Meditation Expert's Morning Routine: And Tips to Create Your Own
A morning routine is a powerful tool that can set up your entire day for success, helping you stay grounded and focused throughout the day and creating a greater sense of balance in your daily life.
If you're looking to cultivate a sense of peace and productivity in your mornings, then you're in the right place. Keep reading to learn about a meditation expert's morning routine, discover practical tools and insights you can use to create a personalized morning routine, and better understand how a few simple habits can help transform not just your morning, but your entire day.
The Benefits of a Morning Routine for Mental Health and Productivity
Creating a morning routine can offer numerous benefits, especially when it comes to mental health and productivity. By establishing a consistent routine, you can set the tone for the rest of your day, helping you to feel more focused, energized, and prepared.
One significant benefit of a morning routine is that it allows you to start your day with intention. Rather than waking up feeling rushed or anxious about the day ahead—and just generally letting your mornings happen to you—you can take control by incorporating activities that help you feel grounded and centered.
Additionally, having a morning routine can also improve your productivity throughout the day. By starting your day with purposeful activities that help you feel calm and focused, you're more likely to carry that mindset into other areas of your life. This can lead to increased motivation and efficiency as you work through tasks at home, work, or school.
So, whether it's taking 2 minutes each morning to practice deep breathing or dedicating 30 minutes to exercise before diving into whatever the day has in store for you, finding a healthy and repeatable way to start your day can be an incredibly valuable tool for personal growth and success.
Balance Meditation Expert Leah Santa Cruz's Morning Routine
Curious what a good morning routine looks like? Listen to meditation expert Leah Santa Cruz, one of the Co-Heads of Meditation for the Balance app, share the three things she does every morning to start her days with love and gratitude:
By making sure to start each day by spending quality time with her family, enjoying a lovely meditation with a cup of tea, and checking her calendar for the day's activities, Leah is able to take control of her mornings. And you can, too!
Ideas for What to Include in a Healthy Morning Routine
When creating your morning routine, there are a variety of activities you can include to help you feel energized and productive throughout the day.
It's important to experiment and find what works best for you, but here are some ideas to get you started:
- Exercise: Whether it's a simple stretching routine or getting outside for a light jog, incorporating physical activity into your morning routine can help boost your energy levels and improve your overall mood.
- Meditate: Meditating can be an incredibly powerful way to start the day, as it helps you become more mindful and present in your daily activities. You can learn more about the benefits of morning meditation in this related article.
- Set an intention: By taking a few moments to reflect on what you hope to accomplish or experience in the hours ahead, you can set yourself up for success and fulfillment. Maybe you want your day to be productive, adventurous, relaxing, or anxiety-free. Whatever is true for you, it can be beneficial to start your day by clarifying your intention.
- Eat breakfast: Eating a balanced meal with plenty of protein and complex carbohydrates can help provide you with the energy you need to stay focused throughout the day.
Remember: These are just some initial ideas. There is no right or wrong when putting together a morning routine, so keep an open mind as you consider what might benefit you.
Tips for Creating a Personalized Morning Routine that Works for Your Lifestyle and Goals
While morning routines are universally beneficial, it's again important to remember that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to creating them. Creating a morning routine that works for your unique lifestyle and goals is key to establishing a consistent and sustainable practice.
So, here are some tips to help you go about creating a personalized morning routine that works for you:
- Identify your priorities: What do you hope to achieve through your morning routine? Whether it's increased productivity, improved mental health, or simply a sense of calm before the day ahead, identifying your priorities can help guide the activities you choose to include.
- Be realistic: When creating a morning routine, it's important to be realistic about the time and energy you have available. If you're not naturally an early riser, don't force yourself to wake up hours earlier than necessary in order to fit everything in. (Though if you do want tips on how to become more of a morning person, check out this Well Balanced podcast episode.)
- Start small: Don't try to overhaul your entire morning all at once. Instead, start by changing and/or incorporating just one or two new activities into your routine and gradually build from there.
- Experiment: Don't be afraid to try different activities or routines until you find what works best for you. This may involve trying new forms of exercise or meditation, adjusting the timing of certain activities, or even changing up the order in which you do things.
- Be flexible: Finally, remember that life happens, and sometimes our routines need to adapt accordingly. While consistency is important when it comes to building habits, being too rigid with our routines can actually lead to stress and burnout. So if something doesn't work out one day, don't beat yourself up—simply adjust as needed and keep moving forward.
By keeping these tips in mind, you can create a morning routine that feels both manageable and meaningful, helping set the tone for a successful day ahead.
Start Creating Your Own Morning Routine Today
Creating a morning routine that works for you can be an incredibly rewarding experience. Not only can it help improve your mental health and productivity, but it can also be a great opportunity to practice self-care and become more mindful in your daily life. So why not get started today?
A simple first step you can take is to download the Balance app on iOS or Android. It's totally free for your entire first year, making it a perfect way to experiment with a variety of guided meditations that can enhance your morning routine.