Build a Relaxing Bedtime Routine with Our Sleep Bingo Board
The last hour of your day can make or break the quality of your sleep. Think about how you spend it: What are the final activities you do before closing your eyes?
If that last hour looks pretty similar to the other hours of your day, you might be setting yourself up for a restless night. Studies show that your brain needs a signal to start winding down, and one of the best ways to send that signal is with a consistent bedtime routine. So read on for our tips to help you start prioritizing a restful night’s sleep as soon as tonight.
Creating a Relaxing Bedtime Routine
Creating a relaxing bedtime routine that you can follow every night is essential for improving the quality of your sleep. The goal should be to help yourself wind down and prepare your mind and body for restful sleep.
Here are some tips to help you begin to create a relaxing bedtime routine of your own:
- Set a consistent sleep schedule: Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day—even on the weekends. This will help regulate your internal clock and ensure that you get enough sleep each night.
- Engage in relaxing activities: Create a list of calming activities that you’d enjoy doing before bed. These could include reading a book, taking a warm bath, practicing meditation or gentle yoga poses, or listening to calming music. (Psst: If you need any more suggestions, check out our Sleep Bingo board below.)
- Avoid stimulating activities: It’s important to avoid any stimulating activities such as watching TV, using electronic devices, or engaging in work-related tasks before bed. These activities can interfere with your sleep by keeping your brain active and alert.
- Create a conducive sleeping environment: Make sure your bedroom is cool, dark, and quiet. This can help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. You may also want to invest in comfortable bedding and pillows to make your sleeping environment more inviting, if you’d like.
By following these tips, you'll soon develop a relaxing bedtime routine that will help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
The Benefits of a Relaxing Bedtime Routine
There are many benefits of creating a relaxing bedtime routine that make it well worth the effort. Here are just a few:
- Improved sleep quality: By engaging in relaxing activities before bed, you can help calm your mind and body and improve your sleep quality.
- Reduced stress and anxiety: Relaxing activities such as meditation or gentle yoga poses can help reduce stress and anxiety levels, allowing you to fall asleep more easily.
- Increased productivity and energy: By getting enough restful sleep each night, you can wake up feeling refreshed and energized, improving your overall productivity throughout the day.
Other Ways to Prioritize Getting a Good Night’s Sleep
Here comes the fun part: making your bedtime routine your own.
Check out our Sleep Bingo board, which is full of suggestions for how to better prepare your mind and body for rest:
We encourage you to print it out and see if you can achieve Bingo!
Start Creating a Relaxing Bedtime Routine
One final suggestion: Incorporate meditation into your bedtime routine.
Just a few minutes of mindfulness meditation before bed can help promote relaxation, reduce stress, and improve your sleep quality.
If you’re ready to give meditation for sleep a try tonight, take the first step by downloading the Balance meditation and sleep app on iOS or Android. It includes a whole library of research-backed guided meditations for sleep that you can use as you’re winding down before bed or after you're in bed for the night, and it's completely free for your entire first year.
- Discover how to use meditation to improve your sleep and overall well-being.