Moms, Here Are 3 Reasons Why Self-Care Isn’t Selfish
Hey mom, who takes care of you?
As a busy mom, on any day but Mother's Day, this question might be difficult to answer. It can be easy to put everyone else's needs before your own. But the truth is, taking care of yourself isn't selfish—it's essential.
So keep reading to understand why self-care is so important, and to discover some actionable tips for incorporating self-care into your daily routine, even for the busiest of moms.
Why You Need to Prioritize Your Own Well-Being As a Mom
If you want to be the best mom, partner, friend, and employee you can be, one of the most important things you can do is prioritize your own well-being. And if you need more convincing, here are three reasons why:
1. You Can't Pour From an Empty Cup
You've probably heard the saying, "You can't pour from an empty cup." This is especially true for busy moms and caregivers, who are often juggling multiple responsibilities and putting their own needs last. But the reality is, if you're not taking care of yourself, you won't be able to take care of anyone else either.
Think about it: When you're exhausted, stressed, and overwhelmed, you're not exactly the best version of yourself. You might snap at your kids, feel irritable with your partner, or struggle to focus at work. On the other hand, when you're well-rested, energized, and calm, you're more patient, present, and effective in all areas of your life.
2. Self-Care Reduces Stress and Boosts Resilience
Stress is an inevitable part of life, but too much of it can take a toll on your physical and mental health. When you're constantly in fight-or-flight mode, your body constantly releases stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline, which can lead to a range of negative effects, from headaches and insomnia to anxiety and depression.
That's where self-care comes in. By engaging in activities that help you relax and recharge, you can stop the fight-or-flight cycle, helping you reduce your stress levels and feel more centered, grounded, and capable of handling whatever life throws your way.
3. Self-Care Models Healthy Behavior for Your Kids
As a mom, you're a role model for your kids in more ways than one. And one of the most important things you can model for them is the importance of self-care. When your kids see you taking care of yourself—whether that's by going for a run (even if that just means running up and down your stairs a few times), dancing to your favorite song, or laughing at a silly animal video—they learn that it's okay to prioritize their own well-being, too.
On the other hand, if you're constantly putting everyone else's needs before your own, your kids might begin to think of self-care as unimportant or selfish, which can set them up for some unhealthy habits and negative self-talk down the road.
So, by prioritizing your own self-care, you're not only benefiting yourself, but you're also setting a positive example for your kids. You're teaching them that it's okay to take care of themselves, that they deserve to prioritize their own well-being, and that self-care isn't selfish.
Practical Tips for Incorporating Self-Care into Your Daily Routine
So now you know why you should unselfishly prioritize self-care. But do you know how to actually do it?
Incorporating self-care into your daily routine doesn't have to mean "carving out time" for activities. Rather, it can mean finding creative ways to add exercise, meditation, or music that brings you joy to what you're already doing. It can also mean saying no to certain commitments or intentionally delegating tasks to others. Whatever it looks like for you, remember that taking care of yourself is an investment in your own happiness and the happiness of those around you.
If you're wondering how to make this even more actionable, we’ve got you covered with these five essential self-care tips for busy moms:
- Schedule self-care into your calendar (if possible): Just like you would schedule an appointment or a meeting, block off time in your calendar for self-care activities if you can swing it. (Though we know this isn't always possible!) This could be as simple as taking a 10-minute break to stretch, meditate, or walk, or as involved as scheduling a weekly massage or yoga class.
- Focus on the joy in everyday activities: Self-care doesn't have to feel like a chore or something extra. Instead, think about how to recognize the existing joy, or infuse new joy into the activities you're already doing: maybe you can create a fun playlist to put on while you're helping your kids get ready for school, or perhaps you can intentionally enjoy the relaxing feeling of hot water while you're doing dishes.
- Get support from others: Self-care doesn't have to be a solo activity. In fact, getting support from others can make it even more enjoyable and effective. Talk to your partner or a friend about how to help each other practice more self-care. You can even include your kids in this, making "taking care of mommy" a game they can play.
- Incorporate meditation techniques into your daily life: When you’re a busy mom, meditation might not be at the top of your list. And no one can blame you. But the Balance meditation app makes it easy to bring a little more intention and mindfulness into things you’re already doing, like taking a walk with our Walking meditation, or intentionally starting your day with our Morning Brew meditation as you sip your warm beverage of choice. There's even a Kids meditation that you can put on for your little ones to give yourself 5-minutes of alone time.
- Be kind to yourself: If it’s been a while since you’ve prioritized self-care, don't forget to practice self-compassion and remind yourself that you’re doing the best you can. And even on your worst days, your kids still think the world of you.
If there’s one thing we hope you’ll take away from this, it’s that self-care isn’t selfish—it’s essential. By prioritizing your own well-being, you'll be better equipped to handle the challenges of motherhood and life in general. So, take some time today to think about how you can incorporate self-care into your daily routine. Your mind, body, and family will thank you for it.
Start Practicing Self-Care Today
Are you a busy mom struggling to prioritize your self-care? Then we encourage you to take advantage of the Balance app's free-year offer.
Balance has guided meditations and calming soundscapes specifically designed to help you reduce stress, boost resilience, and improve your overall well-being. Whether you have just a few minutes or a whole hour to spare, there's a meditation on the Balance app that can fit into your schedule, from walking meditations to body scan mediations to breathing exercises. Why not give it a try today and see how incorporating meditation into your daily routine can make a difference in your life?
Download Balance on iOS or Android, get your entire first year for free, and start prioritizing your self-care today! You've got this, mom.